Author: Scott Westerfled

Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: May 3, 2011
Pages: 406 pages
Age: YA
Website Amazon Goodreads
Synopsis:
Tally Youngblood is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait for the operation that turns everyone from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to party. But new friend Shay would rather hoverboard to "the smoke" and be free. Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The "Special Circumstances" authority Dr. Cable offers Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.
My Thoughts:
I really liked Uglies. I think it had a great message to it. Looking just like everyone else is not all it's cracked up to be. Appreciate who you are & the looks you do have.
I liked seeing Tally's personal journey from being this girl ready & willing to follow in the societal footsteps of everyone else to being a teen who sees there's another way to live. Her best friend Shay leaves her and she becomes okay with that... until she's told she can no longer have the life she wants unless she makes the hard decision to track & give up her best friend. You see her journey to find Shay and her inner struggle with the right & wrong of becoming a Pretty. Seeing her change and choose how she wants to live her life is amazing, but of course things don't go the way she planned.
Shay's character was fun also. Everyone wants a best friend who's fun and willing to take a few risks. But when Tally met Shay, she had no idea that she would change her whole life. Shay is the one who always wants to rebel against society & Tally doesn't want to push the boundaries. They are both easy characters to connect to emotionally & the story really pulls you in. I'm excited to continue Tally's story and see what happens next.
Recommend:
I highly recommend Uglies to everyone. It's a great dystopian that really makes you think about our world and the importance we place on looks.
Other Reviews:









I also loved reading Uglies! Such a great series! The ending of book one was so good! I loved book two even more! Great review :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I plan to read book 2 in February or March. Can't wait to start it
DeleteNominated you for Liebster Award
ReplyDeletehttp://divergentgryffindor.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html
Thanks for this!
DeleteOne of my favorite series! If you have not had a chance, the rest of the series is fantastic. :)
ReplyDeleteNo I haven't had a chance to read the rest of the series yet. I plan to read them soon. I hear the series is great
Delete