Monday, April 4, 2011

How Do You Read?

Here's a question for all you reading buffs out there. How do you get your books and how do you read?
I used to read paper books and get them from a variety of places. 90% of my books came from Barnes & Noble. That was my go-to store. I haven't borrowed from the library in about 4 years. Now as you know I have a kindle and so most of my books come from amazon.com, smashwords.com and I even borrow some from booklending.com.

So join in the conversation and tell how you read and where you get your books from!
It'll be fun to see all the methods of getting books out there.

18 comments:

  1. I'm still an old-fashioned paper book girl. I like to buy them rather than go to the library, which makes no sense as I read all the time and get through books quickly.

    I'm saving up for a Kindle, hoping to get one this summer. How do you find yours? Was it difficult to get used to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to the library every Monday and to Borders every Wednesday. Yes, I have a book problem. I also have a Kindle so I visit Amazon all the time too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, yea you do have a book problem but that's okay because I do too. I'll go to bookstores to look for new books and then go on amazon to put them on my wishlist for the kindle.

    Christine, I love my kindle! I've only had it a few weeks but it's great. I have the 3G version and it was extremely easy to use. I had been getting books and using the pc app for a while & when I got the kindle all the books I ordered were instantly downloaded to the device. The kindle is very user friendly. They make it easy to buy books & read on there. I doubt I'll ever go back to reading paper books unless the kindle version costs way more than the paper version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I borrow from the library from time to time, I still shop at bookstores too. I haven't yet crossed over the to reader side...but I'm thinking about it. I buy books online too. I love getting books in the mail! Like Christine I'm pretty old-fashioned...I like to see and touch books. Love the smell and feel of the pages.

    If I win or am gifted a Kindle...I will embrace it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower from Book Blogs.
    I never go to the library anymore. I love going to B&N, but I never have the time, so now I get read on my Kindle - all the time. I love it. I never have to go anywhere for a book. However, I do plan on visiting B&N this week for Cassandra Clare's new book.
    Talia
    http://taliajager.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like to look at cover art and flip through pages. I used to order books from a book club called The Literary Guild. I would order like 4 and 5 at a time because they were always having some kind of sale. I would get so excited to see my box come a few days later. But now that I can get books in under a minute, waiting a few days for a shipment just seems like waiting forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually go to Barnes & Nobles and buy mine, especially if its a hard back picture book. I love those!! Adult or YA's I usually buy the paperbacks. Sometimes I borrow from friends. I spend too much on books but I like to own them so... I've also gone to the library and borrowed books for research puposes. I dont have a kindle yet but maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Borrowing books is a good way to read something new. You can save alot of money like that & i'm not one to re-read books so I don't mind having to give it back when i'm done, but I don't want to feel rushed to read it either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love to read too, I am your newest follower. Please follow back at: http://mysisterismybestfriend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good question! I love book-books, and have to confess to spending waaaaay too much on them, even debut hardcover copies, usually at independent bookstores (I started Take Your Child to a Bookstore Day last year) but also chains and Amazon. Just keep my paper coming and I'll be happy. But I'm glad the Kindle lovers have e readers and there are even more ways to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicole- I am following you, nice blog!

    Jennymilch- There is no such thing as spending too much on books (unless it puts you in debt). I am such an enabler, lol. I love to hear that people have a passion for reading. When is Take Your Child to a Bookstore Day? I would love to help promote it when it comes around.

    My saying is "It doesn't matter how you read, as long as you do"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get most of mine at the library and I love romance, since I started reviewing on my blog I've read a lot of different stuff and now read mostly author and publisher requested review books. I hope one is a romance soon, only so much time in the day. Thanks and good luck with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got a Kindle about two years ago and it was the best decision ever, otherwise I would’ve ran out of space, the only bad thing about it is that you can’t donate or re-sell the books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is very true Brie, I hate that I can't do either because I never re-read books so once i finish a book it just sits there unless it can be loaned and somebody wants it. But you can only do that once

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I'm following you now (from book blogs) I'm a paper book kind of girl, mostly because I hate staring at a screen. :) I'm lucky to live close to three really good libraries so that's where I get most of my books. I think I'm on the waiting list for 10 or so right now.
    Fun blog. I'm happy you posted on book blogs so I could find it. :)
    -kathy
    www.readthisinstead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love bookstores, but also buy online. Still a paper girl, but that may change...

    Following you via BookBlogs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Found you through book blogs, and I'm now following. Love the title of your site!

    I'm a clear three-way split on this topic. My books come 1 part borrowed from friends, 1 part from the library, and 1 part from Amazon. Will I graduate to online at some point...I don't know. I love the smell and feel of a book in hand. :-) Great question!

    a girl & her books

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! I got your message on BookBlogs and thought I would stop by to check out your blog. Nice, really! :) Oh, and I must say I'm still physical book girl. I buy my books mostly from Barnes and Noble (because I work there), but sometimes I will venture out to Amazon or independent book retailers. I'm extremely sad to admit I haven't visited my local library since I worked there over six years ago... Wow. I must make a trip there soon!

    Great disscussion! Keep it up!

    I'm following,
    -Gabby
    www.gabriellenesiba.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 

Grab My Button!

Avanti's Place

Pageviews

I Am, Are you?

Book Havn Extraordinaire