Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Review: Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins

Title: Spell Bound
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)Series: Hex Hall #3
Publisher: Hyperion
Release Date: March 13, 2012
Pages: 327 pages
Age: YA

Amazon Goodreads
                   Synopsis:
Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies- the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that's what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn't as confident.

Sophie's bound for one hell of a ride -- can she get her powers back before it's too late?






My Thoughts:
Great ending to the trilogy!! I read this book in two days, it was so captivating. It had been a while since I read Demonglass and I was worried that I wouldn't remember much of what happened before but as I read things came back to me as if I'd read it last week. As with the other books there was no shortage of twists and breath-taking moments. I found myself full of emotion when it came to Sophie's decision about her powers and how they were going to get out of certain situations.
It was good to see the main characters get some answers about some things. Archer finally learned what happened to his family & learned about the family of Nick as well. Sophie learned about her family and the family of the Casnoff's. It was also good to see this love triangle resolved, Cal admitted that he knew Sophie loved Archer and that he was sad but okay with that. he was would be okay as friends.
the end of the book was extremely sad but I guess things turned out okay in the very end. Sophie finally had her whole family together and had her boyfriend Archer. She, of course, saved the world and is going back to school. We learn that she has a great life ahead of her and that Archer and Jenna will be always be around.
There were a few things that bothered me about this book though. I loved that Sophie finally learned about her family but I don't like that it was just simply accepted. I understand that there was a lot going on and there wasn't ample time to sit and talk everything out, but there should have been..... something else. Nobody learns what she learned and just accepts it. I also don't like that we were introduced to new characters who we couldn't really get connected to. I became interested in Torin and was a bit upset that he just suddenly disappeared from the storyline. As if his only only purpose was to finally appear to Sophie and let her know where to go. I also didn't like Sophie's overuse of scarcasm. It was a bit unnecessary for me.
Overall, it was a good ending to a great series and I personally am looking forward to reading the spin off series.

Recommend:
I would absolutely recommend this series. I think everyone would love it.

Other Reviews:

 

Grab My Button!

Avanti's Place

Pageviews

I Am, Are you?

Book Havn Extraordinaire