Thursday, February 14, 2013

Discussion: Trading Vs. Giving

Question of the week: Do you prefer trading or giving in the book community?

I've been blogging for a while now & there is one thing I must say I don't like in the blogging community. Wait for it.....
It's the act of trading books. I know, I know! Don't jump down my throat, let me explain.
We've all seen that bloggers post a list of books on their blog that they have that they're willing to trade for a book or 2 that you have. You scroll through and see many great books you'd love to have including that one you've wanted for so long! You're heart leaps at that thought of FINALLY getting your hands on it.... only to sink like Jack Dawson when you realize you have not a single book they want. 

That has happened to me many times, too many to count. I've actually stopped looking at trade lists now because I know I have nothing of value to give. Almost all the books I do own came out a while ago and aren't really in demand anymore. And the hot new books I have, I haven't gotten around to reading yet. I'm not the person who buys a lot of books, I use my local libraries a lot and get free ebooks from Amazon. So I generally don't have the books that the bloggers are asking for. When I do decide to buy something I usually buy it for my kindle. What's the point in owning one if I don't ever use it? The problem with that is you can't loan the books that are from major publishers. Even if you could it still wouldn't be fair because you get a book to keep for forever and they get a two week loan.
I wish more bloggers would just give their books away with maybe some rules saying the person has to do a review of the book or has to pass it along once they finish. Or they just could give them away to make room for new books. I'm the type of person who believes that you should give without always expecting something in return. Just do it because it's nice. I came across a blog called ARCycling not too long ago. It's a program where they give away books once a week without needing you to give them a book back. I wish more bloggers would give their books and arcs away, it would be great if we all just shared with each other.

What about you? How do you feel about trades? Are you a blogger that does them?

 

Grab My Button!

Avanti's Place

Pageviews

I Am, Are you?

Book Havn Extraordinaire