Thursday, February 7, 2013
Discussion: Are You An Avid Reader?
The term avid reader is one that is commonly used, but I've realized that we all have different opinions of what an avid reader is.
I came across an article that said avid readers are people who purchase 10 books or more a year. SERIOUSLY?? If that's all it takes to be an avid reader then just about everyone would be considered an avid reader, that's less than one book a month. This statement was also found in a 2007 article that said the typical woman reads nine books a year. I think that statement needs to be reconsidered. We have people who read 30-100 books a year and those special readers who read more than 100 books a year!!
I came across another article that was written in 2009 that talked about a woman who has borrowed 25,000 library books over 60 years! That's definitely an avid reader.
I think there needs to be a clear definition of the term and possibly levels. Like Baby Avids = 15-30 books a year, Junior Avids = 31-50 a year, Intermediate Avids = 51- 100 a year & Senior Avids = 100+ a year. In my opinion reading 10 books doesn't make you an avid reader. Anybody can do that, it's not exactly a challenge unless you're reading giant books with pages in the high hundreds & thousands.
What do you think about the term avid reader and what do you believe makes one?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










I def don't think that 10 a year should count. I usually 75-125.
ReplyDeleteHappy reading,
Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog
Wah, 10 a year make you an avid? I wouldn't say so, even if they were all 1000 + pages... I usually read around 50-70 books and this makes me Intremidiate - I love your levels :)
ReplyDeleteThank you! I think levels are a fun idea.
DeleteIf I had a lot of money I'd probably buy more than 20 books a year. I think I'd be a baby avid, but I'm trying to be a junior avid this year. I'm going for 50 books, I didn't read much before but I loved it, I just didn't know how to find book I'd like. Now that I started blogging I add to my TBR about 5-10 books or more a week. I'm hoping I can move up to Intermediate avid next year.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog
I forgot lol, I don't think 10 makes an avid reader. I thought it would be something like 7 books a week.
DeleteI don't think 10 makes you an avid reader either. It's what you'd expect from a kid but even they read more than that. I was a junior avid last year & read 31 and hope to read 40 books this year. I try to read more each year.
DeleteI like your rating system. I consider myself an avid reader. I read 45 books in 2012. I think that is a lot of books. I have already read almost 10 books so 10 books isn't a big deal. All I care is that people are still reading.
ReplyDeleteVery true, I think the main idea is to get people reading also. I just feel that "avid" shouldn't be used on such a low number. 45 is a lot of books. I read 31 last year.
Delete