Monday, August 27, 2012

Review: Tiger's Curse by Eileen Houck

Title: Tiger's Curse
Author: Eileen Houck
Series: Tiger Saga #1
Publisher: Splinter
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Pages:  456 pages - Paperback
Age: YA
Website Amazon Goodreads


                   Synopsis:
The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she'd be doing this summer was trying to break a 300 year old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world.
But that's exactly what happened. 
Face to face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together and ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.
Packed with magic, action-adventure, and romance, the epic Tiger's Curse series will keep you breathless and yearning for more.





My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed Tiger's Curse. It sorta kinda reminded me of Alladin, in the sense that Princess Jasmine had a pet Tiger and Ren, the tiger in the book, is somewhat of a pet. He's actually a circus tiger, and Kelsey helps to take care of him. I thought this book was pretty funny. It had lots of funny moments and kept me wanting to turn the page. The romantic side of this book was also interesting. Could you imagine building a connection with a tiger and finding out later that he's actually a man?? Well that's what happens to Kelsey. Ren slowly start developing feelings for Kelsey but it's hard for her to return them because she can't really see past the tiger Ren and see the man Ren.
I also liked the sneaky, educational characteristic of the book. You got to learn a few Italian words & phrases from the circus owner and you get to learn some Indian ones from Ren and Mr. Kadam. I thought that was very cool. Especially since I'm in the process of learning Italian right now.
The overall plot of the story was interesting to me. The fact that Ren is this extremely old tiger and has been that way for decades is crazy! He hasn't been able to change into human form in so long and now that he has that ability again he's on a quest to break the curse that was placed on him & his brother. They way that they get Kelsey to come help is kind of mean. She gets tricked into coming along before she really gets to know the truth, but once she does know the truth about things she agrees to help.
The adventures that kelsey and Ren go on in this book are nuts. They spend days in the jungle, search through old places for things & clues they don't fully understand, get chased by weird creatures and so much more. I'm honestly not sure I'd be willing to go through all of that. I'm not much of an outdoors girl.
Overall, the book was a great read and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

Recommend:
I would definitely recommend this book! It's full of mystery, adventure and of course there's a budding love in there. Who doesn't love a story like that?


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your review and I'm so glad that you liked Tiger's Curse too!! I love how you compared it to Aladdin. I didn't think of that before but I can totally see that now. Rajah could totally be Ren, lol!

    ReplyDelete

 

Grab My Button!

Avanti's Place

Pageviews

I Am, Are you?

Book Havn Extraordinaire