Friday, August 31, 2012

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Series: Not a series
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: October 18, 2007
Pages:  288 pages - Hardback
Age: Mature YA
Website Amazon Goodreads


                   Synopsis:
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and  crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, author Jay Asher weaves and intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.



My Thoughts:
This books is crazy because this is such a real life story. We all know this is a fictional story, but it could have just as easily been a true story. It really touched me.
The entire time I read this book I felt so bad for Hannah. I truly wanted for something to go right & stay right in her life. Every time something seemed to be good, a negative consequence would come from it. Then she pushed away the one thing that could have stayed good in her life, Clay.
I couldn't imagine being Clay. Listening to tape after tape and hearing all the stories, wondering where you come in and how. I don't know about those of you who read the book before me, but I could connect with Clay and feel the emotions that he felt as he went through the tapes.
This book may just make you look at people, and yourself, in a different way from now. Do you see yourself in one of the characters? Did you have the power to stop something bad but didn't? The book makes us look at ourselves and how we treat others. You never know how something that seems so trivial could be something so monumental to somebody else.

Recommend:
I recommend this book to everybody. It's a great reason to start a discussion about real life topics.


 

Grab My Button!

Avanti's Place

Pageviews

I Am, Are you?

Book Havn Extraordinaire