Author: Ellen Hopkins

Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Release Date: October 5, 2004
Pages: 537 pages
Age: Mature YA and Adult
Website Amazon Goodreads
Synopsis:
This is a story about a monster. Not a dragon or a mythological beast, but a very real, very destructive monster--crystal meth-- that takes hold of seventeen-year-old Kristina Snow and transforms her into her reckless alter-ego Bree. Based on her own daughter's addiction to crystal meth, Ellen Hopkins' novel-in-verse is a vivid, transfixing look into teenage drug use. Told in Kristina's voice, it provides a realistic portrayal of the tortured logic of an addict.
My Thoughts:
I personally loved this book, I read it in two days! I've passed this book a million times in the bookstore but never bought it because of how it's written. Seeing that it was written in verse turned me off, but I went to a friends house and she raved about the book so I borrowed it. I'm so glad I did, the book is great!
Kristina is an interesting character, in the sense that she's really two people. Kristina is good girl who makes good grades and doesn't do anything risky. Bree is her alter ego who thrives on danger & fun. It's interesting to see how Bree emerges and takes control of Kristina's life. How her choices affect Kristina's relationship with her friends & family and affect her schoolwork. This book gave me an inside look into how people get started on drugs and how they think they can control it while their lives are falling apart around them. We get a look at Kristina/Bree's relationships with guys and how those relationships lead her further down the wrong path. We also see how she makes friends that aren't the best people to hang around. I've always wondered why people who are on drugs can't seem to get off them and this book gave me a window into the life of an addict. To know that this was based on a real person's life made it that much more real to me.
Recommend:
I would recommend this book for older teens & adults. The book is about drugs and there is some sex in it as well so I'd say this is a book for more mature teenagers who can handle the subject matter.
Other Reviews:








