So a few days ago I went to Barnes & Noble to go look around and find some new books I might be interested in reading. As I was walking through the isles of young adult/teen fiction I noticed something..... EVERYTHING seemed to be apart of a series. There were all these books and all had sections with the same spine decorations! The only difference was a color or a number added. Series! One series I saw had 12 books and didnt seem to be ending yet. I found a few books that were singles but as I took it out and read the descriptions I noticed they all were debut books from new authors. Some were already advertised as being book 1 of a trilogy or series and some just looked like they could go either way. My bet is that if that first book is successful there will be more.
Seeing all this kind of annoyed me. Why can't authors just write a single book and then move on to the next?? Why does everything have to be dragged out through 3+ books? Now I understand that some books are good as trilogies or series but every new book doesn't need to be that way. Most are just filled with fluff and a love triangle. The real plot lines get lost after the first 2 or 3 books.
Another reason I don't like series is because I hate waiting. When I read a book I generally like to know the resolution of the problem and then move on to another book. I don't want to wait months to find out the solution and then have another problem arise. Besides, by the time the next book comes out I probably would have forgotten things that happened in the previous book. I would prefer to read all the books at the same time but that could be alot when series have up to 12 books in them.
Sorry for the rant. I just think that not every teen book on the market should be a series. People get tired of them and like to read a variety of different things. I wish a few authors out there would write a few standalone books for people like me.
What's your take on this subject?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









I hate waiting too! I also hate picking up a book and realizing that it is in the middle of a series. I'm like *grrr...it sounds good but I can't get. I'm with you.
ReplyDeleteExactly! I don't want to have to read 6 books just to understand what's happening in the book I picked up. It's frustrating because that happens alot to me. I usually just move on a find something else to read that interests me. 60% of the time I never go back to that series unless it's loanable on booklending.com
ReplyDelete