Sunday, March 25, 2012

Review: Voices of Angels & Author Interview

Voices of AngelsTitle: Voices of Angels
Author: Hannah M. Davis
Age Rating: M
Publisher: O- Books

Book Synopsis:
When Lizzie Fisher sees a black mark above her teachers head, she has no idea how much it will change her life. Seven days later the teacher is dead and Lizzie must come to terms with a frightening new ability: she sees when people are about to die. Sent to Andalucia to live with a grandmother she has never met, Lizzie falls in love with gifted musician, Rafa. All seems well until one day the black mark appears above her grandmother’s head. Horrified, Lizzie finds herself in a race against time to find out what the gift really means. Will Rafa help her? And can she save her grandmother’s life before it’s too late?


Review:
This has quickly become one of my favorite books! It's a great coming of age story about a 15 year old girl who doesn't quite fit with the world she's living in. That is, until she gets a change of scenery. The main portion of this book takes place in a beautiful location called Andalucia. The main character of this story, Lizzie, is a very interesting person. She is your average teenage girl who wants nothing more than to get along with her peers instead of being teased by them. Things seem to get even worse for her once she discovers that she has a special gift. Although that's not exactly what she would call it. When she gets to Andalucia she begins to embrace who she is & love herself for being different, until a piece of her past shows & threatens to upstage her. That piece is her ex-best friend turned enemy Bee. Bee is that girl in school that has everything. The girl all the guys want to be with and all the girls want to be, but she isn't the nicest person. In fact, she's usually pretty mean to Lizzie. Constantly teasing her for being different.
This is a great coming of age story because we can see Lizzie's journey of finding who she is, learning to love herself and even finding love. Speaking of that, the guy Rafa is one interesting dude. He and Lizzie don't always see eye to eye but he begins to teach Lizzie to live with passion and follow her emotions on things, to truly feel things with her heart. To always do what feels right in the moment. I think every girl needs a Rafa in their life! 
Overall, I loved this book! It's a great inspirational book and I'm sure everyone would enjoy it. 


3 Bookmarks= Finished & in Novel Utopia!




Check Out this fabulous interview with the author herself!


  • Where did the idea for Voices of Angels come from?
Strangely, it came from a dream I had - about a boy who could speak to angels. I think it was my own little bit of psychic awareness going on! Actually in the very first draft of the book, Lizzie was a 12 year old boy called Jake. Then I decided to rewrite it from a 15 year girl point of view just because it was easier for me to get under her skin a lot more. I always knew I wanted to write a book about all the unseen things in life - like what happens when you die, are there angels and ghosts etc? That part of life which is hidden fascinates me.
  • What or who were the inspirations for the main characters?
I think Lizzie represents a lot of teen girls (and adult women!) who lack a little bit of self esteem. This really bugs me because Western Society has such enormous expectations of what girls should look like and how they should be. I just wanted to capture someone who was more real. So Lizzie is probably a younger, more insecure version of me and Ariadne is the me I want to be when I am older - well traveled, wise and loved for eternity.  I don't really know where Rafa came from  . . .he kind of wrote himself! But I do like a real man who is in touch with his soul. 
  • Did anything in the book come from your real life experiences?
I've lived in Spain for about 10 years so the parts in Spain came from my direct experience of living here. I love this country because of its passion and intensity.  I am a little bit psychic but I don't have the ability to foresee death. Thank goodness! Not sure I could handle her gift. 
  • The passion between Lizzie & Rafa came across very real & intense. How were you able to convey that so well?
This question made me smile. Not really sure how to answer that! I guess for me living and loving are intense experiences. When I do something I do it body, heart and soul and that includes love.  I love writing about emotions and passion because it 's so alive. They can be overwhelming sometimes - especially when we fall in love - and it's amazing to try and capture them in words. Although I'm not sure words can ever truly capture what we feel - but I can try my hardest! 
  • Can you give us a tiny bit about Lizzie's journey over the next two book?
Well, there is a shock death at the start of book 2! But the main thing that is going to happen is that Lizzie's psychic ability is going to awaken big time. She's going to meet up with some other psychics and go on a journey - both emotional and physical. Book 2 is going to be a lot darker - I want to explore the dark side of the soul and then book 3 she's awakens to who she truly is. Oh and there's going to be a rival love interest too - more of a spiritual union than a physical union so it's going to be really really tough to decide who she is going to end up with. I don't even know yet!
  • What is the main message you want readers to take from this book?
Believe in yourself.  Always always believe in yourself and know you are infinitely special.
  • I can see this book being made into a movie, what are your thoughts on that?
Oh yes, I love that you asked that! My boyfriend is psychic and has already predicted it. It's my next big intention - to land a megabucks Hollywood film deal.

Plus I used to work in the London film industry reading film scripts for a living. So I have this innate ability to write visually and think filmically. But yes, I love that you said that because that's what I'd love to happen to this trilogy.
  • Why is your favorite word infinity?
Because it means forever. Even when our physical bodies go - we're still around floating around in time and space. In fact, the trilogy is called The Infinity Trilogy. Nothing ever really dies. 

A quick game of this or that!
  • Spain or America
Spain but only because I've lived here so long. I love America too and I can see myself spending time out there soon. . .  when the film deal comes in!
  • Curly or straight hair
Wavy. ;)
  • Spending or saving
I have to confess as much as I'd love to be a saver, I do tend to be a spender but I am trying to save. 
  • Indoors or outdoors
Outdoors living all the way.
  • Messy or tidy
Tidy -except my tables. They always tend to be cluttered.


If you haven't already done so, go ahead and get yourself a copy of Voices of Angels. You won't regret it!
 

Grab My Button!

Avanti's Place

Pageviews

I Am, Are you?

Book Havn Extraordinaire